Thursday, August 5, 2010

Preparation



Some of you have followed my emails on my trips to Spain and Cambodia, and now I invite you to follow me to Honduras (this time for a little longer). This time, instead of sending out emails every time I wanted to update, I am keeping a blog. This will make it so that you can see pictures and post comments if you want to. Read and share with others what you want to and don't read or share with others what you don't want to. Feel free to give other people you know my blog address if they are interested as well. For those of you who don't quite understand blogging and how to become a follower or how to find my blog once you have accidentally xed out of the window, I find it easiest if I bookmark the blog or add it to my favorites. This way it is easily accessible and you don't have to go searching every time you want to read an update.

The title that I chose for this blog in Spanish is "La unidad hace la fuerza", which in English means "In unity there is strength". I chose this title because I think it has a lot of truth, and I believe that God did not intend his world to be separated with borders and police who ensure that people stay in their own countries. Unless you are a native american, we are all immigrants to the United States and I cannot justify my existence in this country over someone from another country. Anyways...I chose the title to remind me that my presence in another place will hopefully bring unity and strength to others.

I received these two photographs of my host family a few weeks ago. The daughter Andrea is 4 years old, the son Walter is 11 years old, the mother Yaquinet is 46 years old, and the father Walter is 39 years old (last name is Cantarero Galeano). I am excited to meet them and spend the next semester as a part of their family.

As I learn more and more about injustices across the world, it pains me to know that i have suffered so little yet still do not feel content. I am going into a new country where I know nothing of my host family's past, nothing of their daily struggles, nothing of the community of which I will spend the next 4 months. I hope that little pieces of what I learn and experience can be shared with you, to humble yourselves and to remind you that God's world is much bigger than we assume.

The goal of the semester is to learn Spanish language, and I have added another goal of learning as much as I can about Honduran culture. Because it is an intensive language program, and we are required to only speak in Spanish, I have decided to try to post my blogs in Spanish and English. (I hope some of you have fun trying to read the Spanish and trying to remember those high school Spanish lessons). Although I realize most of you won't read the Spanish, and for those of you who do read it and understand it, forgive the mistakes, I am determined to learn as much as I can and am going to try to limit my time spent writing or speaking in English.

I leave on August 18 and return on December 16. My neighborhood is called The Residencial Plaza. You can send snail mail to the following address:
Apdo 30676
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Central America

This is a word of advice about sending packages: "Large packages from the U.S. have often been delayed by months and are very expensive to mail. Please limit any care packages to what fits in a large manila envelope and just send them more frequently. I will pay at least 5 lempiras for large envelopes and packages."

Congratulations! You made it through the first post, and hopefully you will enjoy the ones to come. I would now like to give a special shout out to my Opa who is turning 80 this month. HAPPY BIRTHDAY OPA! I love you! I hope my whole DeRooy family enjoys the well planned birthday party for him this coming weekend in Canada.
Alison

En Español
Algunos de Uds. me han seguidos a mis viajes a España y Cambodia, y ahora se invito para seguirme a Honduras (este tiempo para un poco mas tiempo). Este tiempo, en vez de enviar correos electrónicos cada tiempo que quería poner al corriente, voy a hacer un blog. Este sería más fácil y así que se puedan ver fotos y poner sus comentos si quieran. Lean y compartan con otras que quieran, y no lean y no compartan que no quieran. Puedan dar a otros personas que conocen el link de este blog se ellos están interesados. Para Uds. quien no entienden los blogs y como ser una seguidor o como encontrar este página después de exigirlo, creo que es más fácil de hacer un bookmark y añadirlo a mis favoritos. En este manera es más fácil de encontrarlo y no se tiene de gastar tiempo cuando quiere leerlo.

El título que escojo para este blog es “La unidad hace la fuerza”. Escojo este título porque el declaración tiene mucha verdad, y creo que Díos no intentó su mundo de ser separado con las fronteras y la policía quien asegura que las personas se quedan en sus propias países. A menos que es una americano nativo, todos nosotros son inmigrantes a los EEUU y yo no puedo justificar mi existencia en este país superioramente a alguien de otro país. Pero…escojo este título para recordarme que mi presencia en otro lugar va a traer la unidad y la fuerza a otros.

Recibí estas dos fotos de mi familia en Honduras algunas semanas pasadas. La hija Andrea tiene 4 años, el hijo Walter tiene 11 años, la madre Yaquinet tiene 46 años, y el padre Walter tiene 39 años. (Apellido es Cantarero Galeano).Estoy muy emocionante para conocerse y pasar el próximo semestre como parte de su familia.

Has aprendo más y más cuando leo libros sobre las injusticias en el mundo, me causa mucho dolor para saber que he sufrido tan poco pero todavía no siento contento. Iré a un país nuevo donde no sé nada de la comunidad de que pasaré los próximos 4 meses. Ojala que algunos partes de que yo aprenda y experimenta se puede ser compartidos consigo, para se humillan y recuerdan que el mundo de Díos es más grande que asumamos.

La meta del semestre es para aprender la lengua español y he añado otro meta de aprender a lo más que es posible sobre la cultura Hondureño. Porque es una programa intensiva, y estamos requerimos a hablar solamente en Español, voy a hacer mis correros en ingles y español. (Ojala que algunos de Uds. divertirse de leer el Español y que se tratan de recordar los lecturas de la escuela secundaria). Aunque realizo que muchos de Uds. no se van a leer el Español, y para Uds. quien lo lean y lo entiendan, perdonar los errores, soy determinado de aprender a lo más que es posible y voy a tratar de limitar el tiempo pasado de hablar y escribir en ingles.

Salio en el 18 de augusto y regreso en el 16 de diciembre. El vecindario es La Residencial Plaza. Se pueden enviarme correo a:
Apdo 30676
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Central America

Este es consejos sobre enviar correo: "Large packages from the U.S. have often been delayed by months and are very expensive to mail. Please limit any care packages to what fits in a large manila envelope and just send them more frequently. I will pay at least 5 lempiras for large envelopes and packages."

¡Felicidades! He terminado la primera correo, y ojala que divertirse en los restos que vendrán en el futuro. Ahora me gustaría dar un grito especial a mi abuelo quein tendrá 80 años este mes. !FELIZ CUMPLEANOS A MI ABUELO! !Te quiero! Ojala que mi familia DeRooy entera se disfrutan con el partido muy bien planeado para él la semana que viene en Canadá.
Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment